Re: crosstool and cygwin

Allan Clark wrote:

> Textmode: translates 0x0d0a into 0x0a ?  Is there a way to check that?
> Documentation is nice, but no one reads it! :(

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-textbinary.html

In general I'd say that page on gigascale.org is full of crap.  For one
thing, it recommends that you reinstall (!!) cygwin to change the
mounts.  It also gives totally wrong advice about the cygdrive mount --
you do not need to mount drives under /cygdrive, this is automatic.

IMHO, the best option is to use a non-brain-dead text editor that can
edit files preserving whatever kind of line endings exist already.
Failing that, mount just the directory containing your checkout as
textmode, and leave everything else mounted binmode.  Mounting
everything in textmode seems to be asking for trouble in mysterious
ways.

I believe that the Cygwin maintainers have all expressed the opinion
that the whole textmode thing was originally just a crutch to get early
gnu tools ported, and that they wish they could rip it all out now and
avoid all the headaches.  It is a constant source of confusion.

Brian