Re: crosstool and cygwin

Tobias Polzin wrote:
Hi Dan,

thanks for crosstools!!!

I build some cygwin->linux crosscompiler for use with distcc. I have the feeling that using crosstools is a little bit breaking a fly on the wheel

:-) Zu englisch kann man auch "overkill" oder "killing a fly with a bazooka" sagen

, as I only need g++,as,cc1plus and some .o files, but crosstools has the advantage that it works!

I had some minor problems, perhaps you want to include them in your HOWTO document...

1. As LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not allowed for glibc, it would be good to check for it right in the beginning.

I do check for it right at the beginning of crosstool.sh. Checking for it at the beginning of all.sh might be nice, but would be duplicated code. I figure it's early enough as it is...

2. Using CDPATH breaks masq.sh, as "cd bin; find . ...." reports the directory then. A "unset CDPATH" helps.

Thanks!

3. crosstool.sh has a line
rm -f $CORE_PREFIX/$TARGET/bin/$tool || true
Probably because of cygwin´s ".exe" it worked for me just after modifing to:
rm -f $CORE_PREFIX/$TARGET/bin/$tool* || true

OK, thanks!

4. You could mention in the HOWTO in the section on Cygwin, that the crosstool directory has to be mounted in "binmode" not in "textmode". I ran into strange problems with the "textmode" and felt really stupid afterwards. :-)

Ahhh, serves you right for using textmode :-) OK, I'll document it better. (Actually, 'managed' mode is best, especially if you want to build the linux kernel.)

5. As cygwin can incooperate the windows path and this can be cause confusion. It´s best to run "export PATH=/bin" before starting the build.

What confusion did you run into there?

Thanks for the detailed problem report!
- Dan

-- Trying to get a job as a c++ developer? See http://kegel.com/academy/getting-hired.html