Re: crosstool and the absolute path in ${PREFIX}/${TARGET}/usr/lib/libc.so

Chuck Meade wrote:
I have a quick crosstool question. The generated ${PREFIX}/${TARGET}/usr/lib/libc.so
file still has the absolute "/lib" prefixes in the GROUP line. I thought that
crosstool took care of making these relative.

I am looking at an email that you wrote here:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2003-05/msg00097.html,
which addresses this topic.

Bill Gatliff's page here http://billgatliff.com/~bgat/twiki/bin/view/Crossgcc/BuildGlibC
references replacing the generated ${PREFIX}/${TARGET}/lib/libc.so file,
but I thought that crosstool took care of this already.  Am I doing something
wrong here (i.e. should I be seeing crosstool change the libc.so file,
such that it does not have the absolute /lib path)?

I see the logic in crosstool.sh where these absolute paths should be removed, but it is conditional on $USE_SYSROOT, which I am using. My libc.so in my generated sysroot has the absolute /lib path in it. Is there a reason that the sed logic in crosstool.sh is not used to clean up the /lib prefixes in libc.so when $USE_SYSROOT is set?

I'm not sure. I wrote that, and said in a comment

# But won't need to do this at all once we use --with-sysroot (available in gcc-3.3.3 and up)

but I don't remember the issues.  It could be that
this never bothered me because I only use --with-sysroot on
x86_64, and my development systems lack a /lib64, making
any confusion harmless.
What symptoms are you running into?
- Dan