x86_64 and glibc optimization

During the build I see a lot of errors with glibc;

glibc cannot be compiled without optimization

though it seems they are not critical enough to stop the build. Then later
when it gets to bulding glibc and linuxthreads it stops with a configure
error;

checking size of long doudle... configure error; cannot compute sizeof (long
double), 77

I have not changed any of the scripts from crosstool-0.38 and a bit new to
this so I in stumble mode right now. The system I'm using is kanotix 64 bit
edition. Also I using the last eval line in demo-x86-64.sh (gcc-3.4.4,
glibc-2.3.2, 2.6.11.2)

A pointer or two would be most appreciated.