From: Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com>
To: Giorgio Massarotto <g.massarotto@massaware.com>, crossgcc <crossgcc@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Questio about crosstool
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 22:47:52 -0700

Giorgio Massarotto wrote:
I have just a short question. I've got my wonderfully working
crosstoolchain, running on i386 and outputting arm. Now I wanted to make a
GCC compiler that runs natively on the host (ARM) and should of course
produce an ARM output. This would end up in:

build = i386
host = arm
target = arm

However I'm missing something because I keep getting build errors from GCC,
and I was wondering if there's a way to slightly modify your scripts so that
it could create a so called crossed native compiler. By the way the command
I'm using right now to build GCC is:

CPPFLAGS="-I/mnt/flash/usr/include" LDFLAGS="-L/mnt/flash/usr/lib"
CC="/cross/bin/arm-linux-gcc" ./configure --prefix=/mnt/flash/usr
--host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --build=i486-linux

and then make bootstrap, but it always hangs telling that there's no rule to
build libiberty:

sed -e 's/config[.]h/bconfig.h/' ./errors.c > build-errors.c
/cross/bin/arm-linux-gcc -c -DIN_GCC   -g -O2 -DGENERATOR_FILE    -I. -I.
-I. -I./. -I./../include  build-errors.c -o build-errors.o
make[2]: *** No rule to make target
`../build-i486-linux/libiberty/libiberty.a', needed by `genmodes'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/brain/downloads/gcc-3.4.3/gcc'

That's the second time this week somebody's asked how to do this, and the second time in a week or two I've seen that problem with libiberty. Check out the thread http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2005-08/msg00013.html in particular, see if invoking crosstool a second time as in http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2005-08/msg00037.html helps.

It's kind of looking like we need to add a --native option to
all.sh to have crosstool generate a native compiler after
it finishes building the cross-compiler.  Anyone want to
contribute a patch to do that?
- Dan

--
Trying to get a job as a c++ developer? See http://kegel.com/academy/getting-hired.html