Re: crosstool OS X host -> i686/linux target ?

Marius Groeger wrote:

Bill,

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Bill Gatliff wrote:

Is anyone using crosstool to build an OS X-hosted toolchain that
targets
i686-pc-linux-gnu?

Here is has far as I have gotten:

checking version of as... 1.38, bad
checking for ld... ld
checking version of ld... v. ?.??, bad

configure: error:
*** These critical programs are missing or too old: as ld

It looks like OS X's binutils are very ancient. Updating them should get you further. If OS X doesn't easily permit this, you may have to build them yourself and install them where they don't clash with the original ones. Chances are you'll need to update your host gcc in that case as well.

Seems puzzling to me that OS X brings such ancient tools. Anyone
knows why this is?

These are not ancient, just versioned differently, and do not respond to the "--version" arguments. In fact, the problem also exists with awk, I think, wherein awk will hang until given data to process since it ignores the --version parameter yet waits for input to filter.

I made some changes for crosstool to address these, and I thought I sent them to Dan, but if they aren't there, then there's a disconnect. I still owe some Sendmail changes before I do anything more..

The as and ld version checks can be skipped; my patch basically causes the builds to skip these checks.

Allan