Re: progress but not there: crosstool-0.32, OS X 10.4 ->i686, gcc-4.0-20050305-glibc-2.3.4

Rob Arnold wrote:

> On May 4, 2005, at 2:20 PM, Rob Arnold wrote:
>
>> Thanks to Dan's suggestion, the next build got further.  However,
>> still didn't complete successfully.  Now we get into linking in
>> glib, and fail with:
>>
>> ..../crosstool-0.32/build/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-4.0-20050305-
>> glibc-2.3.4/build-glibc/libc_nonshared.a(errno.os)(.bss+0x0):
>> multiple definition of `_errno@GLIBC_2.0'
>
> <snip
>

>>> Btw, just in case someone found this message in the archives and  is
>>> trying to build the old toolchain under OS X 10.4, I forgot to
>>> mention, in addition to the gnu install (or patch configure to
>>> prefer it's shell script install), you'll need to use gcc-select  or
>>> otherwise get the toolchain to use gcc 3.3 to start the build,
>>> since the default in Tiger is gcc 4, and the tests for gcc version
>>> error out on it.
>>>
> Mixed success.  gcc-3.3.3-glibc-2.3.2.dat did complete successfully,
> after installing gnu install (I used the darwin ports version, and
> then had to make a link from install to ginstall), making sure the
> configure found it (didn't until I made a link), and applying the
> patches in the previous message.
>
> I have not yet been able to complete crosstool with  gcc-4.0-20050305-
> glibc-2.3.4, still having the errno problem mentioned in the previous
> message.  If anyone has a workaround for that, let me know.  In the
> meantime, it's great to at least have one toolchain built.

I've found so far that -- fink-free -- I've only needed GNU install,
gawk, and sed, so long as I tell glibc's ./configure to ignore as and ld
versions.  ...but then, if you've gone with fink, and it gives you a
functional toolchain, then that truly is the simplest method of getting
there.  If you (some other reader) don't want to set up Fink or
DarwinPorts just for three executables, I have a copy available at
http://chickenandporn.com/r/macosx-0.32-3.4.1-2.3.3-tools.tar.bz2 (this
URL is pre-pending a garbage byte before the archive, so replace /r/
with /~allanc/ in the short-term)  ... this archive unpacks a
/opt/local/bin/{gawk,sed,install}, and this seems to be the first place
on my PATH but I don't recall putting it there.

FYI

Allan