Re: problems getting crosstool-0.28-r35 working on mac os x

This is very similar to my issue (MacOSX and naughty sed versions), s/AR/SED/

Perhaps any configure that is stalling, we need to first check this possibility; we should also choose to apply this patch not based on the host type, but whether "as" or "sed" understand "--version". I check by sending "fail" into "sed --version", which outputs "fail" rather than a version; </dev/null seems just as functional. A quick check seems to show that the patch isn't automatically applied at all, but I did very little more than a "find ... -exec grep ..."

It sounds like the patches don't really need maintenance, just selectively brought forward. Maybe the build grid needs to be run on a Mac as well. Collect $500, send Dan a headless Mini Mac?

I'll pledge USD100 via Amazon tip jar to start this ball. ...and I'm currently unemployed. Who else has the Cajones (and a Mac)? With a hundred or so Mac users worldwide, someone else has to be here :)

Allan

Dan Kegel wrote:

Hey, thanks for the tip.  I'll take care of it
for crosstool-0.32 (and if I don't, ping me again!)
Maybe this is a fix for Allan Clark's issue, too.
- Dan

Dave Rensberger wrote:

Dan,

For those of us cross-compiling on OS X, it looks like "glibc-configure-apple-as.patch" needs to be moved forward to glibc-2.3.4 as well.

Not sure why Apple has decided to apply the "Think Different" mantra to things like basic command line arguments!

Thanks,
--Dave
--------------------------------------

will (scope) wrote:

the problem is during the install of the glibc headers it freezes in
the configure script and the only way to get out of it is control+c

checking whether ld is GNU ld... no
checking for /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/as... /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/as
checking version of /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/as... <PAUSES HERE AND JUST SITS THERE DOING NOTHING>

do you know a way to fix this?

You need to install gnu binutils, I think

i tried installing binutils (i did the whole build in another
directory thing). during configure it prints this message:

*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories: bfd binutils ld gas opcodes gprof

It looks like I was wrong to say you needed gnu binutils. Apologies! The real problem is I forgot to carry a patch forward from glibc-2.3.2. Try this: $ cd crosstool-0.28-rc35/patches/glibc-2.3.2 $ cp glibc-configure-apple-as.patch ../glibc-2.3.3 I'll fix that in the next snapshot.

Thanks! - Dan