Re: kernel/glibc headers/gcc bootstrap circular dependencies redux

Mike Frysinger wrote:
>for example, i simply do:
>- unpack binutils & configure for -linux target & make install
>- unpack gcc & configure for -linux target w/out headers & make
>install
>-mike

This works with a gcc build if you use --disable-shared and use
--disable-threads, there should be no need for libc or its headers
in this situation (only a static libgcc is created, and it wont go
hunting for pthread headers).

This would be fine I suppose for building a linuxthreads glibc with,
but would be useless if you wanted to build an nptl glibc.

Also my experience on mips so far generating gcc in the absence of
glibc headers is that you cannot use a sys-root, for some reason
it trips up...

FWIW I use this method to produce a mips compiler to generate the
mips glibc headers with, without resorting to patching the glibc
source tree.
( Full build is tested and working for amd64 -> tri-arch mips64el
cross-toolchain, binaries (64bit, including cross-built native tri-arch
toolchain) tested and functional on a RaQ2 )

 Regards
[R]