Re: making progress with building SH3 toolchain

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
p.s.  i know that one way to see if a new combination builds is to
just pull all the old patches forward, just in case.  however,
although it takes longer, i prefer to start with a pristine
combination and add patches only after it becomes obvious that they're
needed, so i end up with the minimum set of patches *for my choice of
components*.

is it worth being this meticulous about it?

Absolutely. You're doing it exactly right. When I try out a new version of glibc or gcc, I do it without patches, then carefully bring forward patches only as needed to solve problems I run into. Then I release a new crosstool, and if other people find the new version needs more patches, I incorporate them and do a regression test.

No patch should ever be brought forward "just in case".
Pristine is the word.
- Dan