glibc config problem

Hi,

I'm using openembedded to create a cross-gcc to the powerpc platform on an i386 host. Upon configuring glibc, it stops with

| checking for .machine support... no
| configure: error:
| *** A binutils version which can handle
| ***    .machine "altivec"
| *** is needed.

Googling "binutils machine altivec crosstool" I've found

http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc37/crosstool.sh.txt

It writes
 # Override libc_cv_ppc_machine so glibc-cvs doesn't complain
 # 'a version of binutils that supports .machine "altivec" is needed'.
 libc_cv_ppc_machine=yes

I was not sure what I was doing but set libc_cv_ppc_machine to 'yes' regardless of the test result in libc/sysdeps/powerpc/configure. Now it compiles.

My question is: did I something terribly wrong? Will I have problems in the code generated by the cross-compiler?

- Gergely