Re: [Patch] crosstool w/ glibc-2.3.3 on Mac OS X

Martin Schaffner wrote:
The attached patch allows building crosstool on Mac OS X with glibc-2.3.3, gcc-3.4.1, binutils-2.15, and linux-2.6.8. crosstool-0.28-rc37 only builds with glibc-2.3.2 on Mac OS X.

Sorry for the delay in reviewing your patch. Two notes:

Comment #1:
Your glibc-2.3.3-allow-old-as-ld.patch says

-- snip --
Mac OS X 10.3.5 does not provide GNU as or GNU ld:
checking version of /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/as... 1.38, bad
checking for ld... ld
checking version of ld... v. ?.??, bad
checking whether autoconf works... yes
configure: error:
*** These critical programs are missing or too old: as ld
*** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.

However, the installed versions work, so this patch removes these checks.
-- snip --

My policy on patches has been to not use any patches that aren't
suitable for inclusion upstream.  I'm pretty sure the glibc
maintainers would never accept that particular patch, small though it is.
Could you perhaps disable the check more carefully, e.g. wrap it in
  if test x$enable_sanity=xyes; then
  fi
Since crosstool uses --disable-sanity-checks when installing glibc
headers, that should do the trick.  Agreed?
Also, while you're at it, please patch configure.in, not just configure
(should be easy).

Comment #2:
Your glibc-2.3.3-no-stddef.h.patch says

+Fixes:
+stdio_lim.hT
+In file included from posix/sys/types.h:31,
+                 from include/sys/types.h:1,
+                 from misc/sys/uio.h:24,
+                 from <stdin>:3:
+sysdeps/generic/bits/types.h:31:20: No include path in which to find stddef.h
+
+On Mac OS X, trying to build the headers failed because
+including misc/sys/uio.h includes stddef.h, which does not exist on Mac OS X.

But
http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/comp-general.php?#basic-headers
says that there is, too, a stddef.h if you have the right packages
installed.  Maybe we should update our installation instructions instead?

Thanks,
Dan