configure: error: CFI directive support in assembler is required

Hi

I am working on a P-III machine running Red Hat Linux 9 and am trying to
cross-compile a toolchain for an MPC8260 (Motorola PowerPC) based target.
When I try to configure a bootstrap glibc (v 2.3.3) prior to setting up a
bootstrap gcc (v 3.4.3) for the target, the configure utility checks for CFI
support in the assembler:

>> checking whether CFI directives are supported... no

And then finally after all the options are verified, it ends in an error as
follows:

>> configure: error: CFI directive support in assembler is required

Can you please guide me on how to get around it? Someone said upgrading the
native assembler on the host to v2.15 will solve the problem.

I am using the GNU gcc (v 3.2.2) and as (v 2.13.90.x.x) that was installed
by
default with my Red Hat Linux package. Please advise if I need to upgrade
them,
and if so, how.

Regards

Vijay Padiyar