Re: reporting crosstool success from mac osx -> arm-linux for nslu2

Randy Melton wrote:
First thanks for your work on crosstool!

You're welcome!

I spent a week and a half trying to manually build "the latest"
gcc/glibc cross for arm-linux running on a mac os-x.  (I'm still
digging through bugs there)  using what I learned I was able to get
crosstool-0.28-rc35 to build on my second attempt.  (My test was a
simple hello world, not exactly exhaustive.)

My directions are on the nslu2 wiki site at:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CompileCrossToolOnOSX

Hey, that's nice. I'll happily link to or incorporate that. I suspect, though, that using fink (or that other package) would be easier for most people. That's the approach I mention in my MacOSX notes http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc37/doc/crosstool-howto.html#buildnotes (did you see that?)

When I find time I'd like to submit some glibc configure patches.  Not
so much to
solve configure problems, but to avoid the "hang forever on sed" and
"assume readelf
exists" type of things...

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could contribute them to crosstool first, then once they get a good shakedown there, submit them directly to the glibc project?

I couldn't find any instructions for the mac so i don't know if I'm
duplicating any efforts. If you have any comments I'd appreciate
hearing about them.

I think the crosstool-howto.html in rc35 was just as up to date as the one I link to above. Did you notice the MacOSX section in it? - Dan

-- Trying to get a job as a c++ developer? See http://kegel.com/academy/getting-hired.html