Re: relocating the compiler and associated tools

> > i then copied all of .../gcc-3.4.1-glibc-2.3.3/ to /usr/local/sh3,
> > and reset my PATH to instead include /usr/local/sh3/bin. ran same
> > test compiles, got the same output. i realize this doesn't constitute
> > a rigorous test, but it seems promising. (once i read more, i'll
> > probably realize that i didn't need to copy *everything* from that
> > results directory over to /usr/local/sh3 but better safe than sorry).
>
> Well, that depends... did you *copy* everything or did you *move* the tree?

"cp -a" since it was in a different filesystem. is that a problem?

Could be...

The first problem I would expect to run into is the problem that ld can't find its crt1.o startup code. This is (usually/sometimes/on occasion) hardcoded into ld at compile time. ld expects it to be at <prefix>/lib/crt1.o

Now, suppose you copy your ld executable (and libraries), but leave the old ones
in place. ld would still search for <prefix>/lib/crt1.o and would not complain - since it's still there. But this does not mean that you succesfully relocated the entire toolchain.

Something I picked up from Dan: can you do a
[target-]gcc --print-file-name crt1.o
[target-]gcc --print-file-name specs
and tell us the output? I'd expect it to be printing the prefix'ed path instead of the copied one. But I could be mistaken.
(another, more conclusive proof would be to remove/rename/backup your original tree under <prefix>, and repeat the compile steps you performed earlier)

Regards,
Arno

Information without knowledge is noise knowledge without wisdom is dangerous stupidity