Re: cross compiler question [undefined reference to `QPtrCollection::newItem(void*)]

David Karlton wrote:
I'm hoping you can give me some advice about crosscompiling from x86 to mipsel. I've downloaded your crosstool version 0.28-rc36, and am having some trouble with using it to build a number of standard software packages (e.g. Qt/Embedded). I've configured the crosstool installation to use gcc 3.2.3 and glibc 2.2.3 (the MIPS device that we need to install to has glibc of 2.2.3). I'm running SuSE 9.1 natively, which I think includes glibc 2.3.3 (which was used itself in compiling your cross compiler to my x86 platform).

The error I usually am seeing is only during linking. The compiling invariably works. The error says "undefined reference" for calls that I would think should link without a hitch. In all cases, if I compile natively, everything works fine. It's only while using the cross compiler that it fails in linking. Also, certain programs cross compile and link without a problem at all, and can run successfully on the MIPS device.

An example of the linking error looks something like:

main.o(.text+0x64): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `QVBox::QVBox[in-charge](QWidget*, char const*, unsigned)'
main.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTV6QGList+0x18): undefined reference to `QPtrCollection::newItem(void*)'

Do you have any thoughts on what might be happening?

A couple ideas: http://root.cern.ch/root-bugs/Incoming?id=2442;page=17;user=guest suggests adding -lqt (but you of course have to have a cross-compiled version of qt!) Do you in fact have libqt etc?

-- My technical stuff: http://kegel.com My politics: see http://www.misleader.org for examples of why I'm for regime change