Re: Help w/ gcc cross build failing

Jon Watson wrote:
After unpacking the distribution .tar.gz files I created a subdir called build and ran configure (from the build subdir) like this:

../configure --target=powerpc-eabi --prefix=/cygdrive/c/gnutools/gcc-3.4.1 --without-headers --with-as=/cygdrive/c/gnutools/binutils-2.14/powerpc-eabi/bin/as --with-ld=/cygdrive/c/gnutools/binutils-2.14/powerpc-eabi/bin/ld --with-local-prefix=/cygdrive/c/gnutools/gcc-3.4.1/powerpc-eabi --disable-shared --disable-win32-registry

I have already built the binutils (2.14) for powerpc-abi. I installed the binutils
(for powerpc-abi) in a separate subdir I'm using for the tool chain I'm trying to build.

I still had to edit the generated Makefiles to get them to use the right binutil tools for the powerpc-eabi target. The changes were very minor - I just filled in
the definition of the variables like AR_FOR_TARGET.

You should not have to hand edit anything. In particular, did you make sure your binutils were on the PATH? configure will use $TARGET-ar for AR_FOR_TARGET if it sees it on the PATH.

Please try Jay's script, or at least read and understand it. Otherwise you're going to run into lots and lots of roadblocks, and each time we answer one of your questions, it'll be something that Jay's script would have shown you how to do, I bet. - Dan