Re: Help w/ gcc cross build failing

On Thursday 26 August 2004 09:59 am, Jon Watson wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I'm trying to build a GCC 3.4.1 crosscompiler hosted on a Win2K PC
> (building under Cygwin) with a powerpc-*-eabi target (need to support
> PPC750, PPC74xx, MPC82xx, & MPC85xx). When I looked on the GCC 3.4 project
> web site it didn't appear that anyone else has reported building the
> powerpc-*-eabi.
>
> I've already built the bin-utils (2.14) for powerpc-eabi and they appear to
> be working.
>
> When I build GCC I get an error building genmodes.o. The error from xgcc
> appears to be that it can't find stdio.h and several other headers that are
> included by ...\gcc-3.4.1\gcc\system.h. What isn't clear to me is which
> version of stdio.h *should* be used. I tried editing the makefile to use
> the headers in /usr/local, but that caused linker errors down the line. I
> also found a couple of copies of stdio.h in the source tree of the
> distribution I downloaded from gcc.gnu.org but I can't find one in any of
> the places the compiler appears to be searching for.
>
> Any ideas about what I should do next? Is there a step I'm missing? Below
> is the output of the make log that I get when the build fails...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jon Watson
>
> $ make bootstrap

Isn't "make bootstrap" usually used for building native compilers?

For building a cross compiler for PowerPC (and others), I use the script I
posted in this message:

    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2004-08/msg00173.html

That post didn't include the PowerPC patches I use to allow building programs
with the "-mmvme" option.  Those are attached here.