Re: Build for arm-linux failed under cygwin and fedora-linux

Daniel Kegel wrote:
Birger Brunswiek wrote:

Hi I tried to compile the toolchain for arm-linux on my windows
and linux box. Both manually and with crosstool, both failed but
in different ways.

I'm using gcc-3.4.0, glibc-2.3.2, binutils-2.15, linux-2.4.26
and crosstool-0.28-rc23.

Under windows I get as far as to the header files from glibc.
The make which comes with cygwin seems to have problems with
the recursions in glibc-2.3.2/iconvdata/extra-module.mk.
It crashes after a few (40?) steps.

Known problem in cygwin 1.5.9-1. Update your cygwin.

Stupid me, I thought I had the latest version of cygwin but apparently I just downloaded it and didn't install it :-| Fixed now...

/scratch/src/glibc-2.3.2-arm-linux/csu/crti.S: Assembler messages:
/scratch/src/glibc-2.3.2-arm-linux/csu/crti.S:96: Error: can't resolve `_GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_' {*UND* section} - `.L7' {.text section}
/scratch/src/glibc-2.3.2-arm-linux/csu/crti.S:61: Error: internal_relocation (type: OFFSET_IMM) not fixed up ...

This is also the same error I get when I tried to do it
under linux.

> After searching the web I gave up and tried crosstool.

We ran into this last month:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2004-05/msg00174.html
and it's not happening for me at the moment.  I can't
recall if I have a specific fix for that or not at the moment
(haven't had my coffee yet...)

Well, it seems to be the same problem but there's no solution either. It has to be some of the options passed on to configure I'd guess, but as far as I can tell I have taken almost the same... Maybe I'll do some more tries to figure it out in more detail.

I'm not sure if I got further... [here's the new error]:
/tmp/cc0XRKUe.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cc0XRKUe.s:3: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `,'
/tmp/cc0XRKUe.s:5: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `,'
make[2]: *** [/scratch/src/crosstool-0.28-rc23/build/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-3.4.0-glibc-2.3.2/build-glibc/intl/localealias.o] Error 1

That seems familiar, too.  See
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-04/msg01084.html and
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2004-04/msg00646.html
I have the following patches in crosstool that handle

patches/binutils-2.14.92/binutils-m68k-ignore-comments.patch
patches/binutils-2.15.90.0.3/binutils-m68k-ignore-comments.patch
patches/binutils-2.15/binutils-m68k-ignore-comments.patch

(although I guess they're misnamed, since you're running into
this on arm, not m68k?).

It's troubling that this error is back even though crosstool
has a patch that should handle it.  Can you verify that this
patch was applied?

No, not applied and after I did apply them all went fine. I hadn't apply them because I already had the tarballs unpacked in my source dir and didn't tell crosstool to do so. I looked at all of the patches related to my system, cygwin, linux and arm and none said it would fix that kind of error message, so I didn't bother... It might be a good idea to rename the file or to create a separate one for the arm to make it more obvious that they are needed for that arch.

And finally if it is still of interest, here follow the first 5 lines
of the temporary s file:
        .file   "localealias.c"
#APP
        .section __libc_freeres_ptrs, "aw", @nobits