Re: cygwin ls command and relative paths

cathy cobb wrote:
I know that cygwin is a Unix emulator. I am able to
use all the commands in cygwin shell that I use on
UNIX work stations. where as "ls /" command does n't
take me to the root directory, but it shows some files in a different directory with out showing even
the current directory contents.

To expain in other way:

Means when I execute any commands in cygwin shell I
need to give a relative path ../../../ etc to give a
file name that I refer. It is a pain to do this for
too long paths as you know ...

What will be a fix to this problem?

Get used to it, I'm afraid. / in cygwin-land is wherever you intalled scygwin in Windows-land. There's a good reason for this, namely, Windows has drive letters and no global root. Thus there *is* no way you could get what you want, really.

You can use symlinks, though, to make things shorter.
e.g.
  ln -s /cygdrive/c/windows/system winsys
will make it easier to refer to c:\windows\system,
at least in a certain way.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com