Re: missing crt1.o

Arno Schuring wrote:
Hmm... I don't see a nice solution to my problem yet... Is there a way to create these startup binaries without actually installing a prebuilt C library beforehand? I'm guessing no...

Why, of course there is! crosstool.sh is an existence proof. I know you want to build things yourself, but have you at least tried running crosstool just to verify it can build a toolchain? If it does, then you can figure out what's wrong with your script by comparison.

On first glance, I don't see anything wrong with the commands you gave, but
then I'm not the most observant sort in the world.
It would be helpful if you could give the error message you're
running into, and tell us what triggered it.

And, actually, it'd be helpful if you'd
create a reproducable test case by taking those commands you
pasted, putting them in a shell script, and actually running
it from scratch in a clean directory to verify it reproduces
the problem.  Once you have that, it's a lot easier for us to
reproduce the problem and see what you're missing.

I have seen several comments on this list like "don't try it the hard way", or "no need to reinvent the wheel"; I'm well aware of that. If I would be running a production environment, and I would be facing deadlines, I would be using binaries. However, having an actual up and working system is not my goal. It's nice to work toward something fruitful, but I'm much more interested in how to get there (in this case: using as little prebuilt items as possible).

US citizens: if you're considering voting for Bush, look at these first:
http://www.misleader.org/
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/arar/
http://www.house.gov/reform/min/politicsandscience/