Re: Generating new -I's for makedepend

Alex Bennee wrote:
I'm trying to clean up some cross-compiles on my system that use
makedepend to generate makefile dependencies. The problem with make
depend is that it assumes the system include directories are in the
usual place which of course they are not for cross-compiling.

I thought I could do a hack using gcc's -print-search-dirs but that
wasn't quite what I wanted. Is there another way or some obscure command
line parameter I've missed?

You might be able to use something whacky like

$(CDEPEND): $(LOCAL_ARCH_DIR)/%.d: %.c
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $< -MM -MG | sed -e 's,^[^:]*:,$@.o $@: ,g' -e 's,\.d\.o,.o,' > $@
-include $(CDEPEND)

The gnu make mailing list archives probably are full of examples of
use of the -MM option.  It's a bit tricky to use, but I think both
Automake and SCons use it (not sure).  If SCons doesn't, it'd be interesting
to see what it does do; maybe it's got its own parser.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com