Re: JTAG Pod?

Grant et al:

I haven't used the Jeeni, but I have used the Wiggler and the BDI2000 on MIPS, ARM and PPC targets. In all cases, the download performance of the BDI is, put simply, breathtaking. :^) Especially compared to the Wiggler.

The Wigglers and Ravens have their place, which I think is in the capital cost sensitive markets (i.e. hobby) where overall performance and stability are secondary concerns. I work with large applications and kernels (500K and up), however, and the higher price of the BDI2000 is more than made up for in the virtual elimination of "sitting around waiting" time during downloads that the cheaper devices all impose. Productivity is a big deal to me, in which case I think the BDI2000 wins without a doubt.

Oh, and the BDI2000 doesn't care what my host workstation is, as long as it's running plain vanilla gdb. No modules, no proxy libraries, no futzing around at all.

Dan Kegel touched on this, I couldn't resist a "me too!" opportunity. :^)

My suggestion: Buy a Wiggler, play with it for a few days. If you then decide you don't like it, put it on the shelf and go get a BDI2000 without hesitation (I think this is where you will end up). The Wiggler is disposable at <$200, after all, the value of knowing whether it's the right or wrong tool for you is worth far more than that.

b.g.