Re: Tool-chain build curiosity

Shaun:

Where are you getting header files from?

b.g.

Shaun Jackman wrote:

Hello all. I have a tricky puzzle for you. If you can figure this out,
you have proven infinite knowledge of the GNU tool-chain, and will be
immediately promoted to "Guru" if you have yet to attain that status.

I have a version of the GNU tool-chain (binutils, gcc, newlib) patched
to support WindowsCE. I have a source and binary distribution. I've been
using the binary distribution so far, but would like to be able to
compile it from source. So, here's the trick. If I use the following
recipe:
	install the binary distribution
	make binutils
	make gcc
	make newlib
	install binutils
	install gcc
	install newlib
The resulting tool-chain works fine. If however I do the following:
	start with a clean slate
	make binutils
	install binutils
	make gcc
	install gcc
	make newlib
	install newlib
My tool-chain does not work. It compiles cleanly, and compiles
executables for the target cleanly, but the executables do not run on
the target (they crash). Any idea how starting with the known-good
binary distribution allows me to build a working tool-chain?

Thanks,
Shaun

-- Bill Gatliff Embedded GNU and Linux development, training bgat@billgatliff.com