Re: Questions on Targetting Commercial Unixes

Thanks for your info, Dara.

> 1) Solaris 2.8/x86: I think this should work. What
> link errors are you getting?

Actually it was my stupid mistake (forgetting to rebuild
some private libs -- it doesn't work too well, linking
x86 linux libs with x86 solaris apps :)  This toolchain
does seem to work properly.

> 2) HP-UX: this can't work. There's no GNU linker for
> this platform.
>
> 3) AIX: this may work, but if so, I've yet to see it.
> GNU binutils have serious issues on AIX 4.3 and above.
> 4.2 _may_ be okay.

Based on that information there's no point in me pursuing
cross compiling for my project. It is all or nothing: If
there's still one slow box that the build is waiting on
then I didn't gain anything.

> I have found a way to work around this, either using
> rsh, or distcc. However, you will need at least one
> box running the OS you're trying to target.
> Essentially, what I did was create a compiler wrapper
> which preprocesses the source on my darwin box,
> compiles it on my x86-linux box (much faster), and
> assembles and links on my darwin box. The great thing
> about gcc, is that the actual compiler requires
> neither headers, nor libraries, nor assembler, for the
> target machine. Anyhow, if you want more details, I'm
> happy to give 'em...

That's something I'd never thought of.  How do you do it?
I do already have an existing build system the runs via
rsh on each individual box, but the main limitation is
speed (and there's no option to upgrade the machines).
For my purposes, offloading the actual compilation step
may be nearly as good as having a complete cross-
toolchain.  What kind of % speed improvement do you see
for the overall compile?

Thanks,

-Nathan