Help with crossgcc and an embedded system!

GNUs,
 I require some help getting started out using GCC for my embedded system.
The target system is an embedded i486 with little or no external hardware,
it's actually an STPC Elite. I have a bootloader for my system, this boots
the STPC(Processor) into a known state and strts execution of code from
10000h. This works fine and I've tested it using a bit of assembler. I now
want to use C.

 I initialy started out by trying to write my own memory script and crt0.s
for GCC, although this has prooved porblematic as I can't find the
information to finish my crt0.s. After some web trawling, I found out about
crossgcc, yourselfs.

 I tried installing gcc as a cross compilier usin Bill Gatliffs info,
initaly with the target set to i386-elf. This built fine, but could not
find crt0.o when calling gcc (i386-elf-gcc!) with a simple program.

I then tried  i486-none-elf as the target, but this failed when trying to
build the cross compiler (Binutils/bootstrap GCC/newlib OK). It rekoned
that the bootstrap GCC would not make an executable? Why?

 I'm probably stumbling around missing the obvious again!

 I'm trying to install the latest version of GCC/BINUTILS/NEWLIB (all just
downloaded today) if thats of help. My system is RH7.2

Ta. Nigel Murphy.