Re: Building a cross-toolchain from scratch

On 3 Jun 2003 at 12:59, Peter Barada wrote:

> >> And how do the sh, ppc64, m68k folks get a build, not to mention
> >> anyone that trying to develop for a *new* architecture?
> >>
> >> I want to track the active sources (CVS head) for various parts of the
> >> toolchain so I can report failures *before* they get into a release.
> >>
> >> That's impossible if I have to wait for a 'prebuilt' glibc to show up....
> >>
> >> We *need* a method that relies only on a working C compiler so we can
> >> bootstrap for *every* target.
> >
> >Which targets are you interested in? Just the ones that glibc supports?:
> ><http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/porting.html>
>
> Personally I have interset in the m68k-elf, m68k-linux, ppc-linux
> ppc-eabi and some others I won't mention yet.
>
> That doesn't preclude trying to produce a method that can be used to
> build for *any* supported target, both the linux targets as well as
> the raw embedded targets.

Hmm.

The reason why I asked, is because I've been wondering about the whole C
library issue wrt cross gcc.

I build a gcc toolset for the Atmel AVR target hosted on Windows (built on
mingw). Interestingly, for the AVR target, we (I and my other colleagues who
build for Linux and FreeBSD) have our own C library, avr-libc. Building the
toolset from scratch is really straightforward: build binutils, gcc, avr-libc,
in that order. And in building gcc, we only build with C and C++.

I freely admit that I have no experience with building other targets,
especially ones that use glibc | newlib.

So that's why I wonder, why is it so hard? Why is it designed in such a way to
have to build parts of the C library to finish building the compiler, and then
build the rest of the lib? Newlib claims it's for embedded targets, is building
/ using it any easier then glibc? Is glibc and newlib just not architected well
enough to provide simple builds?

There has to be easier ways to do this....

Eric