RE: problem create shared dll and -shared option

Hi:
Let me tell you some detail about my job.
we have an OS, and it had already built by msvc for ix86, wince for arm,
and mingw32 for ix86.
now i am porting it to mingw32 for arm. all the mingw porting is done by
me. so you see the most
important thing is to build or get a copy of GCC for arm-wince-pe ( as
our development platform is under
win2k, so we choose mingw32) .In fact, i don't really think i need to
build any gcc lib or header, all libs
used for porting is include in OS itself and we just need GCC as a
target machine code generator( of course,
 we hack some compiler relevant codes from gcc source, like libgcc.).
I visited your site  http://www.atomiser.org/ and download the gcc build
script and newlib 1.11. I downloaded one
version from mingw, that can't be configured for wince/pe.
I follow your build script and rebuilt gcc for arm-wince-pe, I got a
cross-compiler after some minor mistake,
but ld still could not generate the .base file( zero size). The built
steps are:
1.binutils
2.gcc
3.newlib
all configurations are follow build script download for your site, under
msys1.08 win2000
As i know for building cross-gcc , normally step 2 would failed because
lack of some headers
and libs of newlib, but with --enable-multilib=no, it won't.
Trying to build libstdc++-v3 failed at configure, but i don't think this
is necessary, at lease for
my purpose.
Is this gcc for wince/pe a completely GCC ? I doubt it.

as you said, you had do a lot of work to built a gcc for wince/pe, :-),
i think
that is what i eagerly to know: how much changes and how to do with the
BIG sources. Gcc support for wince/pe is poor by now i think. Could you
document your work? i believe that is very valuable for many people.:)))

BTW, as my gcc for wince/pe can't create .base file, I use the base file
created
by mingw32 for win32 gcc from the same sources. the wince/pe compiler
didn't complaint
anything and the result wince/pe dll do have the relocation info. So I
think that those
infos are machine-independent, is that right?
Anyway, the whole build progress is completely ugly :-(

I try to build your sample dll , but arm-wince-pe-ld reports:
./arm-wince-pe-ld -s --dll --subsystem wince:3.00 -e _DllMain
--base-file HelloWorld.base -o HelloWorld.dll HelloWorld.o
-L/usr/local/wince/arm-wince-pe/lib
-L/usr/local/wince/lib/gcc-lib/arm-wince-pe/3.2 -lgcc -lsupc++ -lm -lc
-lwinsock -lcoredll

./arm-wince-pe-ld: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found
(required by ./arm-wince-pe-ld)
./arm-wince-pe-ld: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2.3' not found
(required by ./arm-wince-pe-ld)
what is up? I am not familiar with Linux actually.

regards
wreckor

[snip]
> We had to do a fair amount of work to get GCC working
> properly for the arm-wince-pe target.  It sounds like your
> configuration may not be "quite there" yet..  Let me know if
> I can help.  By the way, what exactly *is* your target
> platform anyhow?  Are you running wince?
>
> craig

Want to unsubscribe? Send a note to crossgcc-unsubscribe at sources dot redhat dot com