HELP: psim/gdb and attach

In the psim manual, under "Using a device tree specification", it says:

If you are wanting to run a program [under gdb] described by a
device tree you can `attach' to the simulation using (I assume
that you have applied the attach patch) [...]

Does anyone know the status of this patch? I gather the psim manual is pretty old, so I'm surprised the patch isn't part of gdb, but 'attach' doesn't appear to work; I get, "Don't know how to attach. Try 'help target'".

I'm not trying to do anything specific (yet), just trying to understand this device tree stuff in psim, particularly the load-binary and map-binary options.
--
John Breen