Re: Problem building powerpc cross - array too large?

From: Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com>

I would say that it's pretty safe to assume it's a problem.  That means
that configure went looking for something it think it needs and couldn't
find it.  So it set the name of the variable for that item as "no" and
proceeded.
I blew away the prefix directory and started from scratch, using --with-headers pointing to the headers from a circa 1998 installation. That message didn't appear this time (but the build still failed). It would appear that it's related to <prefix>/<target>/COPIED, which seems to hold the path that the headers are copied from. When I used --without-headers, this file contained the string "no"; now it contains the original path of the headers.

Did you move the newlib and libgloss subdirectories from the newlib
distribution under gcc 3.2.1 before configuring?
No, I intended to build it in separate passes, since I've never had much luck with the one-pass configuration. Is this necessary?

My binaries for Cygwin and GNU/Linux hosts are built with this:

  ../gcc-3.2.1/configure --target=powerpc-eabi \
    --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-newlib --verbose \
    --with-system-zlib --disable-nls \
    --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
    --prefix=/opt/gnucross \
    --enable-languages="c,c"
Just out of curiosity, why do you have "c" twice in --enable-languages? Is that a typo, or does it really do something?

I do not think the --without-headers is needed and think something
is going wrong when the configure is looking for system .h files.
That's what sys-include is for -- preplacement of system .h files
when building cross without newlib or another C library that can be
built
at the same time.
I thought --without-headers told it to assume there is no sys-include.

FWIW, I have actually built a ppc-elf cross compiler before, but that was back in 1998 (in the good ol' egcs days :); I remember having a lot of problems then with headers, but I can't find my notes of how I got around it. But I'm sure I never had this "array is too large" problem. It's like it's not calculating the size of the array correctly (which is really strange when you consider that the declaration it's barfing on is an extern declaration without a specified size):

extern char rs6000_reg_names[][8];

--
John Breen