Re: Problem building cross-gcc for powerpc-linux

Rick:

> We want configure options, or makefile targets, that cause the
> cross-compiler to be built, such that it is only capable of
> producing object files or assembly language files, from the 'C'
> code.

It occurred to me the other day, after I posted, that this isn't
sufficient.  I hadn't gotten around to following up until now...

The configure scripts for newlib, glibc, et al run a test to see if
the cross compiler can build executables, and bomb if it can't.  So if
you're going to produce a pure cross compiler with no libraries, like
I suggested, you'll have to modify those tests as well.  Otherwise,
you need real libgcc and libgcc2, so that you can fully resolve the
test applications that the configure script builds.

I'm beginning to think that the only long term solution is to go back
to a header-free libgcc and libgcc2.  Dunno how to get there from here
yet, though.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
Public embedded GNU and embedded Linux training dates announced!