Re: Win32 DLLS - dllhelpers problem

Paul Griffin <griffpaul4@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> i'm trying to build dlls using an arm-elf configure
> version of gcc via cygwin.
>
> i tried to change the makefile so that the arm-elf-gcc
> cross-compiler would be used instead but i get the
> following errors:

 So you want make DLLs for ARM-architecture ?  For which
target system ?

 The ones I know working using DLLs are the ARM/WinCE and
ARM/EPOC, ie. the PDA/3G-cell-phone systems. Meanwhile the
ARM/Linux, ARM/NetBSD etc. Unix-like systems use 'shared
libraries' '.so's, not DLLs. Both system types have nothing
or very little to do with the static-only embedded 'arm-elf'
target...

> $make
> c:/win/arm/bin/arm-elf-gcc -c -DBUILDING_DLL=1 -I. -g
> -Wall -o cdll.c
> In file included from cdll.c:1:
> cdll.h:25: warning: return type defaults to 'int'
> cdll.h: In function '__declspec':
> cdll.h:26: parse error before "__declspec"
>
> can somebody give me any indication as to why these
> errors occur???

 As told, your toolchain should be the 'arm-wince-pe'
or 'arm-epoc-pe' (and these both are problematic!), in
order to produce DLLs. First you should however tell
what your aims really are.

 Browsing the list archives from this month you can
find discussion about the ARM/WinCE. With ARM/EPOC
you should switch to the Symbian/Nokia EPOC SDKs via
'www.epocworld.com'. Nokia should send the SDK6 CD(s)
at no-cost, but how long this takes is then another
issue, I ordered the kit a couple of weeks ago but
haven't yet received anything... Maybe I have been
too critical against Nokia sometimes or something,
but needing to wait even two weeks sounds weird
nowadays... "Don't look at the teeths of a horse got
as a gift!" or something, of course...

 I have the older SDK 5 which came with the Wrox-
book "Professional Symbian Programming", and in the
SDK 6 case some new book could be required... Don't
yet know what this could be...

 If you know anything about the 'generic arm-pe'
target, maybe one can create DLLs for it too, with
which 'opsys' it will be used and so on, that could
add something to the common know-how, if you tell
something about this...

Cheers, Kai