Re: Building cross compilers under DOS

Bart <bart@dynarec.com> wrote:

> I'd like to build GCC cross compilers under DOS
> (for the SH, 68K, and perhaps i960 and PowerPC
> targets) using DJGPP but I'm not sure where to
> begin.

 People normally only produce cross-GCCs for DOS/DJGPP2
run-time host, and don't insist building these on a
DOS/DJGPP2 build-time host...  I have maybe built tens
of DOS/DJGPP2-hosted toolchains, but not a single one
on DOS.  Maybe the question really is not building 'on'
or 'under' DOS-host but 'for' DOS-host... Then there
could be more people to help.

 I cannot imagine why someone who has the needed i386
or better PC for DJGPP2, being disabled to use Linux
there as the build platform for any DOS-hosted GNU
stuff. Even Windoze with Cygwin or Mingw/MSYS could
be a better choice as the build platform. Maybe the
run-time host really doesn't need to be DOS/DJGPP2
either, although a Windoze-hosted and DOS/DJGPP2
targeted cross-GCC is not hard as the prerequisite
if these DOS-hosted tools are needed.

 Maybe one can download a prebuilt Linux-x-DJGPP2
or Windoze-x-DJGPP2 cross-GCC, but building it as
a practicing-project (on Windoze) is a very good
idea, although one wouldn't then need any DOS/DJGPP2-
hosted tools but only Windoze-hosted tools.

 Generally building any cross-GCCs for
'--host=i486-msdosdjgpp2.03' or something, requires
fixes to the plain vanilla FSF GCC-sources, the DJGPP2
people really haven't thought any other GCCs residing
on the DOS-host than the native-GCC... The old clause
"All animals are dangerous" comes into mind --- whatever
the 'animal' looks like, its species is 'dangerous'.
The config-template in GCC sets all possible targets
being 'djgpp' if the host is DJGPP2, for instance...

Cheers, Kai