Re: host=Windows/Cygwin/X11; target=Windows, Insight possible?

Kai Ruottu wrote:

> > Antti-Pekka Virjonen wrote:
> >
> > > Please take a look at the Cygwin project. It will make your life much easier. I am
> > > running the Cygwin on my Windows 2000 system and have compiled cross-gcc for it and
> > > use it to compile binaries for use on our PowerPC platform. http://www.cygwin.com
> > > It is like using a Linux shell on Windows... you can also run X-windows over Cygwin.
>
>  I asked this same on the Insight-list, but got no replies...
>
>  I prefer to use a real Unix, not a Unix-layer over Windoze... But if X11 works over Cygwin,
> has someone build Insight/GDB for X11 and for Win32-target ?

I have used Insight under cygwin (for target "powerpc-eabi"). To run insight you don't need
cygwin and X11, because Insight for cygwin includes its own tcl/tk, tix and other stuff to run
directly over Windoze. To get it running, just download insight-5.1.1.tar.bz2 and configure and
build as you do for gdb command line...

$ (insight_src_dir)/configure --target="your_target_platform" --prefix=/"your_xtools_prefix"

$ make all install

After that, you'll see the Insight main Window after starting the debugger, and not the
tradicional gdb command line interface.

>  I mean using Insight remotely
> from a Unix-like system for debugging Win32-apps running on a Win32/Cygwin system from
> there ?  AFAIK, X11-terminals once were used to control remote apps on a Unix-system and I
> remember using remotely some X11-apps from Windoze-PCs, running on a Sun/Sparcstation, but
> using some commercial X11-server on Windoze to control the application...
>
>  So if X11 works on Cygwin, it should be possible to not touch the "evil Windoze-world", but
> to work completely under Linux or something and handle the always-crashing Windoze somehow
> like an "embedded system", not suitable as the ideal development platform... When one builds
> the Win32-apps on Linux, debugging them also from there should be possible.
>
> Cheers, Kai

Regards,

Cadamuro