cross compilation linker error

I know this question has been discussed many times in many cross compilation lists but I am still confused .. also I would like to get pointers to some good links to do a RTFM

I have configured gcc for ARM ,FUJITSU-SPARCLITE etc
the installation went fine
and also the glibc

when i try compiling

[ary@avix tmp]$ arm-elf-gcc -o hello hello.c -I $ARMGINC -L $ARMGLIB
/tools1/H-i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib/gcc-lib/arm-elf/3.0.4/../../../../arm-elf/bin/ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I cant find any crt0.o file in the lib directory there were only

crt1.o , crti.o ,crtn.o and gcrt1.o

when i make the object hello.o file and try to link it
i get this error

[ary@avix tmp]$ arm-elf-ld -o hello hello.o -I $ARMGINC -L $ARMGLIB -lc
/libx/glibc/arm/lib/libc.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation

ARMGINC and ARMGLIB are environment variables i set up to point to the arm lib and includse directory

Can anyone help or give some good links .. my search in google wasn't particularly helpful

Thanks in advance
Abhijit Ray