a question about libc printf

Hi,
    I am not quite sure this is the right mailing list for my question,
but this is the only list I know about newlib.
    I am porting newlib to a ppc405 based board and implementing some libc
hooking up routines like write(). In write() I call a UART driver to print
out a string, but it seems that printf() has some buffering mechanism
built in, so if I call printf("hello \n") ir works; but if I call
printf("hello "), there is nothing coming out.
   Could you point me which tricky point I missed?

thanks a lot.