i386-linux-aout

hi everyone,

Can someone tell me if they've ever successfully built a cross compiler
for the target "i386-linux-aout"? First of all, do I have the correct
target?
I've followed Bill Gatliff's helpful directions at www.billgatliff.com but
with
each try I've come up short. So far I've tried the following combinations:

binutils-2.10.1
gcc-2.95.3
newlib-1.8.0

and

binutils-2.12
gcc-3.0.1
newlib-1.9.0

Yes, I want to use newlib because I have an embedded target and I've
followed Bill's directions. I've tried to build on a Linux host machine
with both the 2.4.x kernel - could the kernel version be a factor?

Also, can anyone point me to some documentation on the Linux old
a.out format? Now that ELF has become the defacto executable format
I can't seem to find anything that explains the older a.out format.

Thanks for any help,
rocko