Re: Using gcc under MS DevStudio?

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 05:03:06PM +0100, David Korn wrote:

> >Does anybody have any info on using gcc with MS Developer
> >Studio?  Is it even a remote possibility?
>
>   Just use an external makefile or a custom build rule at your
>   choice.
>
>   If it's win32 apps you want to build, you'd need a mingw
>   version of the compiler.
>
> If you want to cross compile from MSVC, I would probably go
> about it by installing cygwin, installing the cross compiler
> under cygwin, and using a custom build rule to invoke bash with
> arguments telling it to cd into the source directory and
> execute 'make'.

That sounds like it should be pretty straight-forward.

More backgroud: I'm wondering about using MSVS to develop
embedded eCos[1] applications using a Cygwin arm-elf-gcc cross
compiler.  The VxWorks reference below is right on target. K
For our ARM7 based hardware platform we offer a development kit
that includes Cygwin and Linux hosted toolchainsalong with a
customized copy of the eCos RTOS.  One of our internal
customers is a group of guys that are 100% MicroSoft people and
want to use MS Visual Studio.  I'm sure there are going to be
similar external customers as well.

[1] http://sources.redhat.com/ecos

> If you want the errors to show up in the error log and be
> clickable-on, you'll need some kind of parser that interprets
> Gcc's format of error messages and outputs them in
> MSVC-compatible format.  You can find a utility to do that
> along with instructions on how to invoke it from a makefile
> rule here:
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~borkhuis/vxworks/vxw_pt1.html#1.13
>
> That page refers to the VxWorks O/S in general, but the system
> compiler for VxWorks is gcc, so most of the advice there would
> be at least partially relevant.

Thanks! That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

It appears that method would even allow Visual Studio to use
it's own makefile -- so that users could add/remove source
files from the project using the normal methods.  Personally, I
find that an IDE just slows me down...

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

P.S.  Are you _the_ David Korn?   Tired of people asking that? ;)