LD Error - "Not enough room for program headers"

When linking an image for a powerpc-eabi target (gcc
version 2.95.2, ld versions 2.9.1, 2.10, 2.11, or
2.11.2), I always get a link failure with the error
message "Not enough room for program headers
(allocated 2, need 3)". The image links fine if the
sections are contiguously located. However, dozens of
attempts that I have made over the last several days
to create non-contiguous sections (or place the data
section in ROM but link it for being in RAM) have
failed. Does anyone have an ELF linker script for
doing this that works?

Thanks,
Alex