linux x powerpc-eabi link problem

I use Bill Gatliff's script to build the powerpc-eabi cross compiler on
my red hat 7.1 box. (thanks Bill).

I am working with a MPC555 board from Intec.  I took some utility
functions for the 555 from a different compiler environment and compiled
them into an archive to link my small test app against.  Unfortunately,
when I get to the link step, I get a bunch of undefined reference errors
for all the functions in the archive.

I used nm and objdump to look at the archive and all the symbols are in
there.  I am running ld in verbose mode so I can see that it is
successfully finding the archive.  Why can't it find any of the symbols.

relevant CFLAGS = -mno-eabi -b powerpc-eabi -g -O1

not using any special link flags.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

thanks,
marc