Re: GNUpro vs GCC

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:16:37 +0200
cpg@aladdin.de wrote:

> On 07/12/2001 12:56:01 PM ZE3 Kai Ruottu wrote:
> >
> > Currently one easily sees the Mitsubishi 'd10v' CPU-support being missing
> > in the gcc-3.0, while the fr30 and d30v support was added there from GNUPro
> > after gcc-2.95.x.

 I must confess that I don't even know what the 'd10v' and 'd30v' are, whether
there are real chips at all... The Mitsubishi 'm16c' and 'm32r' can be found in
the Mitsubishi-sites, but no traces for the 'd10v' and 'd30v'...  So perhaps it
doesn't matter if there is any support for them or not. Perhaps the '-elf' in
the target names tells that they aren't real, just elves travelling with dwarfs
and halflings...

> >  The now obsolete 'h8500' and 'z8k' CPUs were once supported in GNUPro, but
> >  the support never visited in GCC...
>
> Were they not integrated into gcc simply because no one cared, or are there
> other reasons (license maybe)?

 Probably the first is true... It may be possible that Hitachi still produces
some H8/500 models, but the H8/300[HS] has replaced it in new designs. Moving
the H8/500 support from old GNUPro-96-97 releases into newer GCCs seems to be
possible without touching the 'h8500.md'. The GNUPro-96-97 sources can be found
on CDs with O'Reilly books, with the EPOC SDK5 release (on the CD with the Wrox
EPOC book, sent freely by Nokia, Motorola, Ericsson or some other company being
in the mobile-phone business, or downloadable via 'www.epocworld.com') and so
on.

 The z8k support included hacks into the common GCC-files 'regclass.c' and
'reload1.c' and the config files in 'gcc/config/z8k' were broken. I remember
the GNUPro-99r1p1 sources still having the z8k-config stuff, and the eCos-1.2.1
DevTools sources had it, this (gcc-2.9-990319) is the last GCC-version which
I have got seemingly to work.

 While the support for H8/500 and z8k still can be found in official binutils
and GDB, it being missing from the official GCC may cause some nuisance. Perhaps
there should be some official maintainer for every CPU or something and
nobody wants to be listed in the 'MAINTAINERS' for the H8/500 and z8k.

 Their support being in binutils and GDB (although perhaps not working) hints
the support for GCC being 'somewhere', and it really is easily available if
one knows where to search...  After that one only needs to do some work, but
when not wanting to pay to others for their work, reinventing the wheel cannot
be avoided.

Cheers, Kai