Re: HELP FOR PORTING GCC TO NEW TARGET

> From: "shivaprasad" <shiv_hm@hclt.com>
>
> hi all,
> any knows abt  how to approach?? for porting GCC compiler to a new target
> which is not in GCC. help me with related links, approaching methadology
> etc.....

The procedure is as follows:
(1) Know a lot about compilers.  A two semester graduate seminar
    would be a good start.
(2) Buy "Using and Porting GCC" from the Free Software Foundation.
    Read it repeatedly.
(3) Memorize the instruction set of the target processor.
(4) Download the source code from
      http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html
    Read it repeatedly.  Also read documentation found there.
(5) Ask more specific questions.
(6) Write good code.  Compile.  Link.  Run.

--
     -- Keith Wright  <kwright@free-comp-shop.com>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>
         ---  Food, Shelter, Source code.  ---