RE: EGCS support

>   I'm afraid you seem to have been given the wrong advice, target and
> host should not be the same thing.
>
>   build  : the machine you are building the crosscompiler on.
>      - in your case, your cygwin pc.
>
>   host   : the machine the finished crosscompiler should run on.
>      - still your cygwin pc.
>
>   target : the machine which the finished crosscompiler should produce
>            binaries for.
>      - your m68k linux system.

Well, we are talking about libraries here and the host for a library is
the target of the compiler. From my reading of the manual, I maintain
my wrong advice:

-----snip from glibc-2.2.2/INSTALL-------------------------------------
`--build=BUILD-SYSTEM'
`--host=HOST-SYSTEM'
     These options are for cross-compiling.  If you specify both
     options and BUILD-SYSTEM is different from HOST-SYSTEM, `configure'
     will prepare to cross-compile glibc from BUILD-SYSTEM to be used
     on HOST-SYSTEM.  You'll probably need the `--with-headers' option
     too, and you may have to override CONFIGURE's selection of the
     compiler and/or binutils.

Here he cross-compiles from cygwin to m68k, BUILD to HOST, therefore
BUILD=cygwin and HOST=m86k-linux.
Using --host=$target is what Bill's script does too.

>   So if I've followed you right, you want host = build =
> i586-pc-cygwin,
> because you want to build this compiler under cygwin, and you want it
> to run under cygwin, but you want it to produce output for m68k-linux,
> which is the target.  With target==host, you would get a compiler that
> you could only run on your m68k-linux system, i.e. a native
> compiler that you build by crosscompiling it on build.

Actually, --target is not even mentionned in Glibc's manual...
Oh wait, you mean that reading the manual is a wrong advice, right? :-)

Cheers,
Y.