RE: Work on new CrossGCC FAQ underway

> I've started working on it, but quite frankly, I'm not happy with the
> direction it's heading in.  The basic outline at the moment is
> unchanged from its current form, which causes problems because certain
> types of information are specific to targets, while others are
> specific to hosts, while still others are specific to tools.

My guess is:
- Make a description of the general ideas and steps to follow
- Then have a few sections on specific cases (like, where to get
those GCC patches for arm-linux, what's do be known about cygwin
targets, etc).
I think Kai is very right in suggesting an introduction/section
on how a compiler actually works, along with the basic gcc
debugging flags ( -v, -print-search-dirs kind of things).

> It's always been like that, of course, but as the number of
> gcc-supported targets with individual hacks (i.e. arm-linux) has
> increased, discussing them coherently and concisely in the current
> format generates lots of verbage.

You can't discuss something concisely AND generate lots of verbage
at the same time :-)

> As for new directions, I'm currently leaning towards a faq-o-matic
> inspired approach, where there is no hiearchy at all, each section is
> sort of standalone.  This means that there will be a section on
> building host=cygwin/target=arm-linux, and a different section for
> building host=pc-linux/target=arm-linux.  Or something like that.

I am not too familiar with faq-o-matic.. I guess if this comes
with a strong search engine, why not.. otherwise, you'll end with
a collection of articles where the newbie won't know where to
start, and they'll still need to ask questions on the list to
get directions as to which part of the faq to read... kind of
defeats the purpose.

Cheers,
Y.