RE: intuitive IDE for gcc on linux ?

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Yves Rutschle wrote:

> > > I was wondering if there is any intuitive integrated
> > development environment
> > > for cross-gcc.
> > emacs
>
> vi :p
>
> > So, you can tell your boss that if you will ever going to migrate from
> > toy systems up the food chain and play with the big guys you will have
> > much less trouble migrating if you do it from the gnu environment.
>
> I am not sure what you mean with "toy systems"? If you mean
> GNU+Linux or something like that, well, I just think you're
> mistaken as so many tools from the "big guys" are based on
> GNU one way or another, and WindRiver (VxWorks' editor) seems
> to be kind of scared by Linux taking off in the embeded system
> arena (Re: their move to get BSDi on board).

English is not my native language, sometimes it shows.
Let me reiterate my point. It seems like theese guys are playing with the
"toy systems", the emphasis on IDE environment usually is one of the
stongest indicators in the case. I consider that linux/xxxbsd/gnu
environment it at intermediate level so far (all IMHO): ClearCase scales
better and is slightly more functional than CVS, VxWorks is a better RTOS
than RTEMS and DIAB for PPC is a slightly better compiler than gcc for PPC
(linux/bsd/gnu tools and RTEMS are catching up, but it did not happen
yet). My advise was to go up into intermediate level.

> > And by the way look for a better place to work (just in case)
> > - in the new
> > new economy working for morons does not look so lucrative anymore :)
>
> Yeah, what is it with those managers that tell you what tools you
> should use? you are the one to use them...

I suppose that it is sometimes hard to beleive, however, there are some
really smart guys even among managers.

> Cheers,
> Y.

Thanks,