Re: gen-params problem during make all install of gcc for powerpc-eab i with Solaris host

"Conyers, Steve" wrote:

> Feel like we're getting real close to a cross compiler, but now failing deep
> into the last step.
> #target=powerpc-eabi
> #../gcc-2.95.2/configue --target=$target --prefix=$prefix -v
> #make all install
>
> RESULT:  Made it past the point of building the cross compiler.  Then it
> tested various features, with everything OK except POSIX compatibility and
> (more disturbingly) "whether the C compiler works...no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables."
>
> Any thoughts?  Is the "C compiler cannot create executables" message normal
> at this point?

 Yes, the 'powerpc-eabi' target defines only the object format, calling conventions
etc., not a target board or a simulator or a opsys or anything for which you could
create real executables. If you use the '-v' option in CFLAGS, you will see that it
doesn't include any startups (crt*.o), any C-library (-lc) or any glue-library for
some supported target board (e.g. '-lads') into the link command...

 The workaround you will see in the nice GCC-manual, "Invoking / Sub-targets / PowerPC"
or something. You can use any of the supported PowerPC/EABI targets while building (for
which to create the 'dummy'-executable), the results for libiberty and libstdc++ are
always the same.

Cheers, Kai