Re: Multi-architecture installation

David

David Korn wrote:

>   My comments are directed towards the default working of the binutils
> install scheme, which *does* work.  I generally consider messing with
> any of the other options to be an invitation to breakage.  It may be for
> just that reason that nobody's documented them in detail before; it would
> generate an awful lot of extra support work for the gcc volunteers....
>   Where's the clash?

ar -t /$target/lib/libopcodes.a
This shows a "disassemble.o" in the archive. What processor should it
be dissasembling for?
Possibly I've jumped to the conclusion that libopcodes.a will be
overwritten by another binutils. Maybe the next binutils just adds to
the existing libopcodes.a?

>   If anything has gone wrong with your system, I suspect that it's
> down to a problem with your custom Aeroflex method of building and
> installing.  You mentioned in one of your earlier mails:

The problem there was the default set of directories that pre 2.95
versions of gcc check for libraries and headers. Installing an xgcc in
/usr/local caused the pre 2.95 host gcc to find the "/usr/local/lib"
xgcc libraries before it's own. W/ a host gcc that is version 2.95 or
later, there is no conflict.

> But really, I don't think the problems you've had need fixing in the
> configure scripts, but in the documentation.

Ok.

-Bill