Large executables

I am having problems with using optimizations on my xgcc.  Without using any
optimizations, my final srec files are over twice as large as I used to get
from the same code compiled with the MRI tools.  The problem is, the instant
I turn on any optimizations (at any level of -O, no mater -O1 through -O3,
-Os also breaks), my code no longer runs properly.  Been playing with
various options but I can't seem to come up with anything that works.

Has anyone else had such problems?  Any helping ideas would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
- Steve

--
Steve deRosier