Re: GCC for FR30!!

Tuukka Lehtonen wrote:

> I've been trying for the past few days to compile the GCC-suite for
> the fr30-elf target.
>
> what i've done so far:
> - downloaded most recent snapshot of binutils (000524)
>   and successfully compiled it for target fr30-elf
> - downloaded newlib-1.8.2 and included it in the gcc compilation
>   with the flags --with-newlib,
> --with-headers=/gcc/gcc/newlib/libc/include
> - downloaded snapshot 20000508, which BTW has a broken g++-package, it's
>   size is only about 450 KB, where it should be about 1,8 MB. Since that
>   didn't work, I downloaded 20000501, and tried compiling it like this:
>
> make stops at fr30.c, with a massive load of warnings and errors.

 I tried them both on Sunday evening and a missing '#include "system.h"'
before the "include "rtl.h" seemed to be the reason for the "massive load
of warnings and errors"... There was also a host-dependent (Linux with
libc5) bug with the 'rusage' missing, probably this happened with the
later version (fixed with equalizing 'USG' and 'linux' in the #ifdef which
caused the 'rusage' to be selected instead of the 'USG' method)...

 Anyhow they both crashed with an internal error while trying to compile
'libgcc.a'. Too hard (for me) to solve that :(

 BTW, the 'first of May' is the day when quite a lot Finns wake up still
drunken, if they at all slept in the night before...  Perhaps the egcs-
maintainers are now Finns and have been drunken since the May Day, and
when the May 8 release failed miserably, they just decided to drink more
beer... The difference between a camel and a Finn is that a camel can
work two weeks without drinking, while a Finn can drink two weeks without
working... ;-)  Or, if the 'Cygnus' is translated to finnish, it is
'Joutsen' and if the 's' in is taken away, it becomes 'Jouten', which
means "Just to be and do nothing"... ("Jos mie saisin jouten olla, kesäsuven
voita syyä"). Ok, these would be the finnish explanations for the egcs-
snapshots being "somewhere out there"...

 Whatever the situation with the egcs/gcc snapshots now is, there seems
to be the Linux-packaged GCC-snapshots available via www.codesourcery.com
But there are only the full-source snapshots, not any diffs between them...
So they are for those rich people who can afford to download the 20 Mbytes
every day, not for the poor GCC developers with modems, who must decide
whether to eat or to download the snapshots...

 Hmmm, I seem to have built both gcc-2.95.2 and egcs-20000119 for fr30-elf,
added the (totally untested) '__attribute__ ((interrupt))' (for ISR handling)
and perhaps done quite a lot more fixes which I don't remember...

> All this because I don't have too much time to waste trying desperately
> on my own, to make it work, while I know that someone has already done it.

 Going backwards in the egcs-snapshots and trying to find a 'working' release,
the fr30-elf support seemed to appear there at Sept 27, 1999, and I had a
working 'beta' compiler, made from 20000117 (or something) weekly snapshots,
so sometimes during Feb - May 2000 the fr30-elf support was broken...  If you
can unpack RPM's, the Codesourcery snapshots give the possibility to try
some newer stuff... Or if you are searching a 'stable' release, the
GNUPro-99r1p1 sources from Hitachi or the Cygnus EDK 1.0 sources from RedHat
may offer a stable fr30-elf support... (And I would consider my gcc-2.95.2
as 'stable' -- the fr30-elf support was moved to it from the egcs-snapshots
of the same time, October 1999)

Cheers, Kai