Re: use of fork,pipe and kill in collect2 of cross gcc

 The following problem is quite old, but not yet solved:

> Jose Fonseca wrote in November 1999:
> I'm trying to build a canadian gcc-2.95 cross compiler hosted on mingw32,
> targeted to m68k, on redhat 6.0 linux. The binutils went fine, but the gcc
> fails due to the use of fork and pipe on collect2 (functions not
> available on mingw32).

 When this was discussed, the subject turned to the necessity of the 'collect2',
for the mingw32-target (which was a little absurd when the problem lies in the
mingw32-host and the lack of 'fork()', 'pipe()' etc. in the Mingw-libraries).

 When I got yet one question more about this (and probably will get more),
perhaps the 'fix it going through the rules' could be presented also here :

  1. The mingw32 host lacks the proper 'X-file' (Hello Mulder and Scully!)

  2. The x-file should have the row 'USE_COLLECT2=' (empty), nothing more...

 So, when someone decides to have problems with the mingw32 host and tries something
like Jose, the solution in practice is :

  1. Add a line 'xmake_file=i386/x-mingw32' to the 'i[34567]86-*-mingw32*'-entry in
     the 'gcc/configure'.

  2. Add the 'x-file', 'x-mingw32' into the directory 'gcc/config/i386', and the
     file having only the line:

        USE_COLLECT2=

     This disables the 'collect2.exe' building for the 'ix86-mingw32'-hosted cross-
     compiler.

> Since collect2 is related to the c++ constructor and destructor table,
> isn't possible to build a C-only compiler without it?

 When all mingw32-hosted GCCs now must go without the 'collect2.exe', which targets
will probably have problems without it ?

Cheers, Kai